Tuesday 14 June 2016

REMINISCING | TUESDAY TANTRUMS

Hi there!

Today I am introducing my 'Tuesday Tantrums', which are weekly columns about anything interesting and everything strange that comes my way. I came up with this idea because I think it'll really help me getting back into blogging. Why, you may ask, well, because then I don't have to worry about writing content that's actually about something solid, like monthly favourites or fashion hauls or whatever. I'm not sure yet wether my Tantrums will have an introduction or not, but, without further ado, here's the first Tuesday Tantrum. Hope you enjoy!




When I was three years old, I stepped on a slug. My parents and I lived in an apartment near the centre of Amsterdam. It had a huge, shared courtyard garden with humungous trees and countless secret passageways. When I went back there a few months ago, the trees turned out to be average sized and the passageways were just the result of bad gardening. I was young and had a wild imagination, alright? We lived in that apartment until I was four years old, when we moved to the western suburbs. My childhood there was careless, with nothing to worry about. Every Tuesday I would go to nursery, and on Wednesday my grandma would babysit me. We would have a cup of tea first, with two dunking biscuits - my mum only allowed me to have one at a time - or, on a sunny summer day, we would go for ice creams. After we had finished our cones or fished our last bit of lost biscuit out of an empty mug, we would go into my room and prepare a puppet-show for my parents. If the weather was too nice to sit inside, we would take our practising outside, and it was on one of those days that it happened. I was waddling through the garden, chasing my invisible fairy-friends, when I stepped on a slug, barefoot. Slugs themselves are not that bad, but I will never forget how it felt when the poor fellow squished between my foot and the soil and his torn remains seeped inbetween my toes. Ever since that day, when I see a slug, I get shivers all over my body. My first instinct is always - and will always be - to run. As far as I can. When we moved to our current place, I thought I would never have to face another slug again. Boy, was I wrong. The sidewalks do not stop the goons from crawling all over the place after a thunderstorm, when the bricks are still damp from the rain and the crickets burst into singing. So, every time it has rained, I avoid the small roads and take the detour just to not have to encounter one of them monsters. What I have learned from this experience is that no matter where you go, no matter how far you drive your moving truck, there will always be people to devour ice creams with, biscuits to dunk in your tea, and slugs. Lots of them.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Weeellll, I hope you enjoyed the first ever Tuesday Tantrum! Please leave your thoughts on the whole Tuesday Tantrum thing in the comment section below, I'd love to know what you think!

See you next week!

Love,
Rosaly

No comments:

Post a Comment