Saturday 3 October 2015

SEPTEMBER FAVOURITES

Hi there!

It's now officially November, which means Autumn, which means cosy scarfs, berry lips and a LOT of orange, brown, yellow and red. But before I start rambling about how much I love Autumn and November and blah blah blah, first, let's look back on September...

Little warning, I'm ill at the moment, and don't have a lot of inspiration, so this post may not be up to my usual standard... Anyways.

My favourites have often included beauty related stuff, like body butter and perfumes, but this month, there is none of that, and a lot of just random items.



Starting with: a book. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I do not spend every second of my spare time on the internet, either writing or getting lost on other blogs. I also read books. This month, we had to read a book for school, and we read none other than the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Usually, I'm a slow reader and quickly distracted, but this time that was not the case. The book is about Amir, a thirty-eight year old Afghan living in San Francisco, who gets a call from his father's former business partner from Afghanistan. The call causes a flashback, which lasts almost throughout the entire book. A flashback to his carefree youth in Kabul, in a country that would later be taken over and destroyed by the Taliban. He describes the relationships to everyone in his life, and he unveils the event that shattered them, right around the time the king was deposited. From there, he takes you with him and his father to Pakistan and America, where he builds up a new life far away from Afghanistan and the Taliban. But his past is still there in the back of his head, and he goes back to find the one thing that he cannot find in his new life; redemption.

The book is beautifully written, with lots and lots of details. Hosseini describes every single occasion in a way that I have never seen before. He takes his time, without letting it get boring. The story itself is not only heartbreaking - trust me - but also an insight into Afghanistan, a country that I knew very little of, apart from the continuous war. I literally do not have anything at all that I don't love about this book, so if you're looking for a good read, I would 100% recommend this.

Next up is FOOOD. Good food. I am not one to follow every trend that is going on, but I have to admit: I have given up on ignoring the whole fruit and yoghurt bowl thing. My absolute favourite is Greek yoghurt with 1 banana, a tablespoon of sultanas, a tablespoon of almonds, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and a teaspoon of honey. I can't really explain WHY I love it so much, but it's healthy and addictive so I guess you should just give it a try.

Moving on to music. I'm going to be totally late here and say it: Troye Sivan's new EP WILD is absolutely AHMAZING. Though I have to say I have my most and least favourites, but I would choose Troye over Beyonce any day of the week. And that says something - also the #WILDYOURSELF thing is so cool -

Okay, imma just start tittle-tattling about this next thing, which is the movie SPY. I'm not going to tell y'all what it's about, because I'm worried I'm going to completely spoil the whole thing, but I can say this: the actors WIN. Seriously. Melissa McCarthy and Miranda Hart are absolutely hilarious and Rose Byrne is as stunning as ever. Must watch.

The last thing I want to talk to you about isn't an object, but a project. Ever heard of the Global Goals? Tanya Burr? Well, together they make #TBGlobalGoals, which is basically a list of goals, and in this video Tanya tells you AALL about it, but I love it. I love the idea of raising awareness for these kinds of things. If you want to participate, all you have to do is post a picture of you with the number of the goal you chose to Instagram or Twitter, and it has such a huge effect. Here's mine:


What's yours?

Love,
Rosaly

No comments:

Post a Comment